We are obsessed with fried rice in our house and love these other recipes too! Plain fried rice, shrimp fried rice, Hawaiian fried rice, and cauliflower fried rice are some of our most popular fried rice recipes on the blog!
It’s pretty obvious how obsessed I am with fried rice. It was the only thing I would order, and I have always loved it so much! Having been taught all the secret ways by my Chinese sister-in-law, I can assure you that it is much better than any other you will ever get! Every time we do something Asian, we always serve this fried rice. We have even known to have fried rice at the Thanksgiving table. We love it so much. It’s no shock that it is one of the most popular recipes here on the blog!
Ways to Make Fried Rice
1. Using The Skillet Method
This is simple to make fried rice that you can prepare in a couple of minutes using basic kitchen ingredients. In this method, you can choose of adding cooked meat or any additional ingredients you desire.
- Prepare your ingredients: four cups of leftover white rice, a piece of carrot, a medium-sized onion, a clove of garlic, one teaspoon of fresh ginger, three eggs, a cup of bean sprouts, a pinch of salt, black pepper, two tablespoons of vegetable oil and three tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Heat oil in the skillet and then fry the vegetables, and then add the garlic and onion. Stir them until golden brown.
- Add the cooked rice and some cooked meat if desired and then the beaten eggs.
- Toss the ingredients and then fry everything for about three minutes. Put soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- For the garnishing, add some sprigs of green onion before serving.
2. Using A Pan
If you want to add a little twist to the conventional fried rice, then try using crispy pork on it. This is also one of the best ways on how to add some variety in your breakfast. So for example, you don’t want to have hard boiled eggs in that morning, you can try this simple method of cooking fried rice in a pan.
- Turn on your electric stove over medium heat and then heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Cook your eggs, but make sure they are beaten. You need to tilt your pan so that you can coat its surface with the eggs. Make sure that your eggs are cooked well, and then flip the eggs after two minutes. Take the eggs out and then be able to cut them into small pieces before setting aside.
- Add in your garlic, ginger and onion and cook them for two minutes.
- Dice your cooked pork and cook it for another three minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, rice and then soy sauce into the skillet and then cook them for two minutes.
- Season your fried rice and then take it out from heat.
- If desired, you can add chopped cilantro leaves and make sure to mix them well with the ingredients.
3. Using An Oven
Make roasted meat cooked in a pellet smoker more exciting by cooking fried rice in an oven before serving them both. This is another method to cooking fried rice, and this applies if you don’t want to use traditional skillet or pan for the purpose.
- Prepare your ingredients, including two cups of rice, three and one-third cups of water, onion soup mix, three tablespoons of oil, half of red bell pepper, chopped green onion, chopped mushrooms and other desired ingredients.
- Preheat the convection oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine your ingredients in a dish while the oven is heating.
- Stir the ingredients well.
- Put it inside your oven in the middle rack.
- Cook your fried rice for about one hour until the soup is absorbed.
4. Using A Microwave
Using a convection microwave, you can make fried rice! Yes, this is a fabulous option for those living in the dormitory or working in an office where there is no access to a gas range but only a microwave appliance. You can make the quick and easy rice recipe that you can modify based on the ingredients you desire.
- Prepare the ingredients you’ll need, and these are a cup of rice, one and a half cups of water, two chopped bacons, a medium-sized onion, one tablespoon oil, one tablespoon of tomato sauce and one tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Put all the ingredients together and have them in a microwave-safe container. Stir them well and then cover.
- Get it inside the microwave and turn it on for about 20 minutes, and then leave it inside for another five minutes.
- When ready to serve, just stir it and have mouth-watering fried rice, which you can also pair up with meat slowly cooked to perfection using your anodized cookware or pellet grill.
5. Using A Wok
Let’s now cook using Chinese style and a wok! But don’t fret, as we don’t need to wear chef shoes to do it. This recipe is simple yet so delicious. Just remember to use leftover rice because it won’t have a clumpy, wet texture later. For this method, you need about 20 minutes to prepare and cook, and it makes four servings.
- Get your ingredients ready, and they are three tablespoons of vegetable oil, two eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper, three cups of cooked rice, three-fourth cup of shrimp or chicken if you don’t have char siu, three-fourth cup of mixed vegetables, one and a half tablespoons of soy sauce and four green onions.
- Lightly beat your eggs using a small bowl.
- Put the wok in the stove on a high heat.
- Add about two tablespoons of oil on it and then tilt the wok lightly to coat the sides.
- When done, you can add the eggs and then the salt and pepper to taste. Cook the eggs until they are lightly scrambled. Move them to the sides after.
- Get the remaining oil and then stir in the rice for about two minutes.
- You should then add the cooked meat or the char siu, along with the carrots and peas to the wok. Stir them together.
- Slice the green onions thinly and then add them to the mix. Add soy sauce.
- Stir-fry for about a minute more before serving.
You should use leftover cooked rice, and then leave it in the fridge overnight so that your rice grains will be firm and easier to separate, preventing mushiness in the finished product. Or else, you should wait for newly cooked rice for moisture to escape and then refrigerate it for a couple of hours before cooking. Also, you should use long grain rice, not sushi rice or short grain varieties. The reason is that short grain rice stick together.
Thanks to Smithsonian APA for sharing these tips!
Use leftover rice to avoid soggy fried rice! By doing so, the texture will be just right, not soggy or dry. Also, use your favorite ingredients and be creative! Finally, you should have the right order for the perfect outcome: the eggs first and then the rice. You should definitely check out the site for other useful tips and tricks about cooking fried rice!
Thanks to Christine Ho for the wonderful ideas that she has shared!
Do you want to know how much soy sauce to add? Ideally, add three tablespoons of soy sauce for every four cups of cooked white rice.
Thanks to Contributors at Wiki How for the wonderful tricks!
Use day-old rice for chewy and tender texture in your fried rice. One of the contributors, Grace, said that she makes double the rice that she needed whenever so that she’ll have leftover rice for the recipe. According to the site, you should make sure that you fluff the rice immediately and before storing it. Check out the complete tips and tricks on the THEKITCHN for delicious fried rice.
We’d love to give thanks to the contributors and the amazing people like Emma Christensen and Grace at TheKitchn for always inspiring us!
How do you come up with the perfect fried rice? You should use leftovers. Jasmine rice is better or use long grain rice if that is what you have.
Thanks to Felicity Cloake for the wonderful tip!
To let the flavor of Jasmine rice to shine in the fried rice, you should use very light stir-fries, according to J. Kenji López-Alt. Aside from it giving just the right balance of stickiness and texture, it can also make the dish better smelling when lighter stir-fries are used.
Thanks to J. Kenji Lopez-Alt for the tips!
Fish sauce is considered a salt in the South East Asia and it is used in many Asian dishes. In your fried rice, you can substitute salt with it and still make a tasty dish in which you won’t even pick out the taste of it in your dish.
Thanks to Jaden for sharing this secret!
Pro Tips from Other Bloggers
1. This website, in the post for Charles Jones, is one of the coolest sources for cooking tips and kitchen tricks. One of the secrets that it shares includes using day-old rice, so that it won’t stick when it is fried. According to the blogger, it is also best to use thawed rice than fresh. But then if you have to use newly cooked rice, you should cool it completely first. It also shares that you should use short or medium grain varieties, and not long varieties, so variants like sushi rice would work well, except when feeding people accustomed to long grain rice in American kitchens.
2. The website shares a cool option when making fried rice. It suggests soaking carrots and beans, each in separate bowls of boiling water for five minutes or until they start to change color. And then drain and set them aside. Check out the entire tips and tricks as shared by Funmi Komolafe.
3. The contributor Holly of the site shares her tips on ways to make the perfect oil-free variety without dairy and meat. On the site, you will find one of those recipes to try if you are on a healthy diet. Check out the official site for the complete information now.
4. The site shares an amazing recipe on how to make protein-packed fried rice that will improve your muscle-building effort. You can make this simple egg fried rice using some simple ingredients, including brown rice and chili flakes. Head over to the site and check out how to make this protein-packed fried rice.
Correcting Common Problems
What is the right way to stir it?
Use the tossing technique so that you can preserve the texture and shape of the grain. Here is what to do: You should push the spatula downwards with about 45 degrees angle until it reaches the bottom of the pan. You should also scrape the rice, which is stuck on the pan’s bottom. Also, you should toss it so that you can mix the ingredients well. Finally, you should not press the rice using your spatula.
What is the ideal texture of rice?
It should have a firm texture outside.
What temperature is needed for the perfect outcome?
You should take note of proper heat, which should be hot enough because fried stir-frying rice needs maximum heat, so that it would be equally cooked.
Is there a way on how I can prevent the rice from clumping?
No one would like clumpy fried rice. One of the ways to avoid this problem is to rinse the rice to get rid of excess starch. This tip applies when you’re cooking fried rice using raw rice.
What should I do if the rice has the tendency to go stale or to clump?
You can avoid this problem by breaking it up before cooking it. The process will ensure that your rice will be able to separate without being crushed or breaking when you’re cooking it. Nevertheless, make sure that you break up the rice before frying it.
Why is my fried rice sticky?
You should choose the right variety to avoid this problem as well as use one-day old cooked rice or leftover rice, not the newly cooked one to avoid sogginess in the results. Also, avoid those with sticky and soft texture, as they do not make good fried rice.
What is the fastest way to cook it?
One of the best tips is to prepare the ingredients before cooking so that you can save time. That will of course depend on the ingredients you’re using. For example, if you were to add meat, be sure that you cook it beforehand. For the eggs, you can cook and then dice it in advance before cooking the fried rice. You can add it in the fried rice when it is almost done. You may also want to use the eggs as the binder for the recipe. For this purpose, you can add the beaten eggs while you’re frying the rice, usually in the middle of the process.
What’s best to use in stir-frying rice?
While a wok isn’t most recommended in western kitchens but the use of skillet or a frying pan, it is still ideal in the method of cooking fried rice. The reason is that it has different heating zones, allowing you to push some ingredients aside to give way for new ingredients. Using a wok also makes flipping and tossing easier. You can also consider its use if you want some smoky flavor in your fried rice. Also, you may want to use a flat-bottomed wok that won’t tip off the cooking range. However, you may want to skip using a wok if you’re using induction stove because it does not work like gas cooking ranges that make the flame rise and that can heat up the sides of your wok.
Best Fried Rice Recipes
This is one of the best sources of recipes for fried rice. In this recipe, the old fried rice recipe is given a new twist – this time with tofu. You may want to check out this site for this fun and simple, protein-packed recipe that will change the way you eat breakfast! Fill your day with this slow-digesting macronutrient that might also help you lose weight if you’re trying. Go on and check out the site if you want to learn how to cook this tofu fried rice.
Do you want restaurant-quality fried rice cooked straight from your kitchen? Try this simple Chinese fried rice recipe from the site and see how you can wow your guests with its exquisite taste. This particular recipe can serve up to four people and it is made with easy to find ingredients, including soy sauce and sesame oil. Check out the full list of ingredients and instructions from the source now!
Check out how to make a healthier alternative to our fried rice! You can try this vegetable fried rice from the site and see how it fares for your taste buds. This particular recipe is lightly seasoned and it has a tender and chewy texture. See how to prepare it by checking the source now!
The recipe is by Sara Buenfeld and it takes only up to 30 minutes to prepare. Just like the traditional fried rice, you can make use of long grain rice variety for this recipe and then two large eggs. Check out the source for a full list of ingredients and instructions now!
This particular recipe makes use of our favorite Turkey and it takes only about a total of 40 minutes to prepare and cook. It is a recipe by Dawn Perry that makes use of peas, carrots, Hoisin sauce and scallions. Check out the site for the entire list of ingredients as well as cooking instructions.
Do you love chicken and you want to eat it another way? Check out this chicken fried rice recipe that will give a new twist to your chicken. Plus, it is healthy for using lean chicken breast fillet. For an entire list of the recipe ingredients, you may want to visit the site to check for the instructions as well.
The recipe takes 20 minutes to prepare and it is easy to make. It uses of sunflower oil, spring onions and cooked chicken, and a whole lot more. For the complete list of the ingredients as well as the steps in preparing it, you may want to check out Good to Know.
This recipe serves four and its main ingredients include onion, pork, rice and bean sprouts. It is easy to prepare and it adds a nice twist to your fried rice with the addition of pork. This is a meal in which to get carbohydrates and protein as well as other nutrients. You may want to check out the source for the complete instructions and ingredients you need.
Resources & Further Reading
- Make Fried Rice From Wikihow
- Oven Fried Rice From Food.Com
- Microwave Fried Rice From Food.Com
- Skillet Recipes From Gooseberry Patch
- Chinese Fried Rice From Dummies
- Things To Consider In Making The Best Fried Rice
- How To Make Chinese Fried Rice From Serious Eats
- How To Make Great Fried Rice From Bon Appetit
- Perfect Fried Rice From Just Hungry
- Top Tips For Easy Fried Rice From Kitchen Missus
There are many ways on how to make fried rice so you can always try something new depending on your mood or preference. You can choose to make one for vegans or gluten-intolerant guests. In short, fried rice isn’t only that traditional stir-fried rice we used to know in which we add garlic, a few bits of meat and some onion springs, as there are many ways to be creative and be as adventurous in the kitchen when making this all-time favorite food. Also, you may want to try out the tips from pro bloggers shared here – we’d like to express our gratitude to them for making us more knowledgeable on how to make our fried rice better.
Did you find this guide useful? Tell us in the comment section! Finally, share this article with friends on social media so that they would also have some inspiration on how to cook this exciting rice dish in no time today!
- 1 Ways to Make Fried Rice
- 2 Bonus Tricks
- 3 Pro Tips from Other Bloggers
- 4 Correcting Common Problems
- 4.0.1 What is the right way to stir it?
- 4.0.2 What is the ideal texture of rice?
- 4.0.3 What temperature is needed for the perfect outcome?
- 4.0.4 Is there a way on how I can prevent the rice from clumping?
- 4.0.5 What should I do if the rice has the tendency to go stale or to clump?
- 4.0.6 Why is my fried rice sticky?
- 4.0.7 What is the fastest way to cook it?
- 4.0.8 What’s best to use in stir-frying rice?
- 5 Best Fried Rice Recipes
- 5.1 1. Tofu Fried Rice from My Recipes
- 5.2 2. Chinese Fried Rice from Food.com
- 5.3 3. Vegetable Fried Rice from Serious Eats
- 5.4 4. Oriental Egg Fried Rice from BBC Good Food
- 5.5 5. Turkey Fried Rice from Real Simple
- 5.6 6. Chicken Fried Rice from Taste.com
- 5.7 7. Sausage Fried Rice from Good to Know
- 5.8 8. Pork Fried Rice from Food.com
- 6 Resources & Further Reading
- 7 Conclusion